Gain real-world experience while exploring careers in design and technology
Create an original “Inspire Oakland” design that inspires Bay Area residents using your unique creativity, vision of diversity, and spirit of innovation. As part of this professional opportunity, you will create a bulletin billboard, bus bench ad, social media flyer, LED display, and t-shirt design.
- Since 2009, BRIDGEGOOD has been helping students design for social good.
- BRIDGEGOOD provides equitable tech access, design opportunities, and professional resources to job seekers.
- BRIDGEGOOD sources design volunteers from companies including Google, Adobe, Twitter, and Salesforce.
- BRIDGEGOOD programs are tuition-free — participants pay nothing and winning designs receive a cash stipend.
About Inspire Oakland
- Exclusive real-world experience and design opportunity
- Free access to open labs and mentorship from BRIDGEGOOD (through BRIDGEGOOD.com/vip)
- Portfolio building project to use as a case study
- Equitable access made available to all student Creatives
- Industry learning & engagement with like-minded students
- Top twenty (20) designers awarded certificates of achievement
- Top six (6) students honored at awards ceremony & cash stipends (based on program donations)
- Eager to participate in a program that benefits the Bay Area design & art community
- Ideally pursuing a degree in Design, Art, or Multimedia
- Proficient with at least one design tool
- Be open to constructive feedback
- Adobe Illustrator and/or Adobe Photoshop
- Pen & Paper
- Google Workspace (e.g., Docs, Slides)
- Video Conferencing (e.g., Zoom)
- Tablet (optional)
- Collaboration & Team Building Skills
- Communication & Presentation Skills
- Design for Social Good
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Project for your Resume & Portfolio
Jumpstart your design career
Each year we ask emerging Creatives and Designers to create original artwork that answers the question, “What about Oakland inspires you?”
Download & Review Brochure
Create Inspire Oakland Designs
Email required design files to email@example.com by April 22
Most Asked Questions
You can visit bridgegood.com/inspire to check out some of the previous winning Inspire Oakland designs. If you decide to pick a similar theme, be sure to add your unique perspective and artistic flair to it — originality is important.
Please visit (and share) the website www.inspireoakland.com.
The Inspire Oakland Design Challenge is designed for current students seeking creative tech careers. That being said, we welcome recent design grads (within 1 year of graduation) and any Artist who has is inspired by Oakland.
Yes. Incorporated July 2009 as Oakland Digital Arts and Literacy Center Inc, BRIDGEGOOD is an award-winning 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, EIN 27-0720655. Donations made to BRIDGEGOOD are tax-deductible.
As with any 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, BRIDGEGOOD relies on donations, volunteers, and community support. That being said, we also welcome program participants to pay it forward once they are able. BRIDGEGOOD participants have contributed as program volunteers, donors, and connectors to important resources.
All design challenge participants do not pay a fee. As a nonprofit organization, BRIDGEGOOD receives funding to provide the program and career building opportunities at no cost to students.
Yes. At BRIDGEGOOD, we believe design is the combination of function, communication, and aesthetics. At the heart of design is research and designing something that solves a problem. For Artists and Designers that do not know Oakland — we suggest taking this opportunity as a challenge to build real-world experience, develop relationships, and create something meaningful.
Comparable design contests and competitions charge $500 to $2,500 to participate. BRIDGEGOOD is responsible for all costs associated with commercial placement of the winning designs including billboards, benches, and LED’s. Typically, the retail cost of these media slots are $75,000 to $100,000 — made possible with community donations.
We encourage all BRIDGEGOOD Creatives to begin developing a growth mindset. As with any professional opportunity, learning is a continual and consistent process. Continuous learning opens your mind and builds healthy habits. The more you learn, the more you understand, and the more you inspire.
BRIDGEGOOD.org is dedicated to those searching for general information about our nonprofit. BRIDGEGOOD.com is aimed at supporting students looking for career resources (e.g., free online portfolio, design events).
Inspired? Get started with BRIDGEGOOD
Excited to #DesignForSocialGood with you!